Thursday, January 12, 2012

Oh Cheeez....

Well, I was super excited to get to playing with my newest gadget: a yogurt and cheese incubator. I should just call it a "dairy" incubator because it's also good for making sour cream. I have made homemade yogurt in the past (it is the BEST tasting stuff ever, btw - no sharp afterbite at all - creamy and dreamy!) but after warming up a whole oven for 12+ hours for a 2-quart batch, I just thought that I wasn't actually doing anything that cost-effective. However, I was glad to have learned the skill and the knowledge that I COULD do it. Plus, my oven doesn't heat up any cooler than 170-degrees. So, it likely killed the very bacteria whose growth I was trying to promote.

Enter the Yogourmet dairy incubator.  I had first seen something like this in a Lehman's catalog (the ultimate in non-electric/Amish friendly tools for today's homesteader). It would likely be a much more cost-effective project in something smaller than an oven; and since it would hold whatever it was warming at 105-110, would probably induce good-growth rather than destroy it. I was intrigued, but at $70 +$16 shipping, I thought it a bit exorbitant for a well-constructed styrofoam warmer.

Yay for Amazon! I researched several models (all electric) before settling on this one. It finally arrived yesterday. Since I was fresh out of yogurt starter (all you need is a cup of plain yogurt), I determined to make mozzarella cheese. My husband bought me a super book about a year ago and has complained that I haven't made a single recipe to date.

Well, first of all, it turns out that I still didn't get to use my new toy because mozzarella doesn't require an incubation period. Secondly, it calls for an entire gallon of milk. Yikes! Not to be deterred, I decided to proceed but with only half a batch. *Oh won't my husband be so delighted when he comes home today?*





What did I end up with? Mozzarella crumbles. No matter how I tried, I couldn't get the cheese to start to "stretch." It just crumbled over and over. Oh well, once again, I'm glad to know how to do it (should it come down to survival and I need to subsist on grass and powdered milk...) Speaking of powdered milk, there are several cheese recipes that say you can make cheese from reconstituted milk. Maybe for my next project...?

In the meantime, I just talked to my husband who didn't find it very cost effective or time-wise to take half-a-day making cheese from a half-gallon of milk. Well, at least he can't say that I've never used the book he got me, right? And - it is pretty tasty and more fun to use the crumbles instead of shredding a block of cheese. Perhaps I'll have to make something yummy for dinner with it to help his angst. :)

2 comments:

  1. which book did you use? I've been working on learning cheesemaking for a while off and on as well. Never quite gotten the mozzarella to work properly either, but I make some killer queso blanco. also as an fyi, don't toss out the left over milk water.. it makes a great fertilizer when mixed with the soil for tomatoes and peppers (they really like the calcium) or use in place of water when making bread for some extra taste and nutrients there as well. butter in the mixer is also fun, but definately not cost effective.. tastes so much better then store bought though..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used this book: http://www.amazon.com/Home-Cheese-Making-Recipes-Delicious/dp/1580174647/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1327077603&sr=8-2. I recently ordered the Storey pamphlet reprint from Amazon, so we'll see how their directions compare. I will do it again, but stop at the ricotta stage and not worry about getting all the way to mozzarella. I also made the mistake of using Kosher salt, which made it way too salty. I keep the whey anyway to use in soaking beans and wheat before cooking, but glad to know the tomatoes and peppers tip. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete